Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Goals of the game

An adult educator, Freire considered the rights of students living in poverty in Brazil.  I've been mulling over the application of his theories on "regular" education, that is, in the education of children and adolescents.  Is it even possible to advocate for the rights of such students without discussing this with  their parents?  This points to the absolute necessity of parental involvement, or better yet, community involvement in schools. 
The goal(s) of education in the USA is/are blurred at best, making it difficult to ascertain what is in the best interest of the student.  I once attempted to study "the rules of the game" of parental involvement in a school I taught only to end up more confused.  There is no game without communication, and communication between Latino parents -which I was studying- and the teachers at the school was almost non-existent.  In addition, no one seemed to understand the goals of the educational system in terms of a real education of the child.  So many people have denounced our educational system as test-oriented, confirming Freire's vision of current education as a "Banking system," I will not stop to discuss it here.  I will, however, continue to explore the questions that puzzle me about my role as a teacher in the education of children towards producing "free" students:  Children free to explore, free to learn, free to build themselves as projects of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment